Random Musings and Happenings

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Gates of the Arctic

During his wedding toast, Craig's brother, Jeff, said he knew Craig had met his match when he found someone who'd head off into the Brooks Range with him on his honeymoon.
Little did Jeff know that the Gates of the Arctic backpacking adventure had been my idea, as Craig often reminded me when I laid awake at night worrying about grizzly bears.
Bear concerns aside, it was an amazing trip with some of the most incredible scenery I've seen anywhere in the world.
These photos, taken in the Oolah Lake valley along the Itkillik River, can hardly do it justice. When the skies cleared, we could see for miles and miles.
Although the mountain views were gorgeous, I was most fascinated with the hearty plants and wildflowers that grow in the tundra.
It reminded me a bit of the Southwest in how such beauty could be found in extreme conditions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home