Random Musings and Happenings

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Lost in Translation

This shot was taken at lunch during our second day in Italy. Driving from Bologna to Cortona, we were detoured off the highway through Bagno di Romagna. Since we were hungry (surprise, surprise), we stopped for lunch. While Sarah will always remember the town for the best meal she had in Italy (green lasagna), I will remember it for my best "lost in translation" moment.

A bit of history first. I took Italian in high school and barely passed it. I struggled with vocabulary, conjugation, etc... everything except pronunciation. Several times during this trip, I fooled Italians into thinking I spoke the language (well, at least until they saw the "deer in the headlights" look when I struggled to understand their response).

While walking towards lunch in Bagno di Romagna, a car pulled up and the driver asked us a question in Italian (I think it was something about the detour and whether he was going the right direction). Since I didn't know the answer, I simply responded with, "non parli Italiano." The driver gave me a puzzled look and drove away. It was hours later when I realized I had misconjugated and told him, "you don't speak Italian." Oops!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home