Random Musings and Happenings

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Retractable Leashes are Evil


This morning I had my second nasty experience with a retractable leash. Either I am simply unlucky, or these things are implements of evil that constantly cause harm to unsuspecting passersby. A few years ago, a dog on one of these nasties charged toward Holden, my dog, to say hello. I got wrapped up in the narrow part of his leash and got burns on the backs my legs. Nothing too horrible, but enough for "retractable leash" to become a phrase that would set me off on a rant.

Today, I was running on the Woodcroft greenway when I heard, "Charlie, Charlie!!!" above the sounds of my iPod. I turned and saw a 15-20 lb pooch tearing across a busy road toward the greenway. He was moving at full speed with his owner chasing after him. Before I could get out of the way, he whizzed past me and his retractable leash caught the front of my right ankle and then circled around my left ankle. I don't think I could recreate the situation if I tried. As Charlie tugged to get free, the leash burned deeper into my ankles. Charlie's owner caught up, liberated her pooch, and apologized profusely for all my missing skin. Darned retractable leashes. At least I caught Charlie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home