Random Musings and Happenings

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Rite of Passage

Last night, I finally fulfilled a promise I made to Craig when we first started dating... I went to a Rush concert with him. As many of you know, Rush has never been my cup of tea, due primarily to a combination of their high-pitched vocals and sci-fi/heavy metal roots. I'll leave it at that for fear of receiving hate mail from Rush fans. For the record, I do appreciate their instrumental abilities and certainly their longevity. My favorite part of the show was Neil Peart's drum solo.

What I was not fully prepared for last night were the Rush fans. Certainly I, as the child of the self-proclaimed #1 NY Yankees fan, should not be surprised by intensely loyal, bordering-on-obsessed fans. But, oh, I was! It was more than the droves of people who knew EVERY WORD TO EVERY SONG or who high-fived and hugged their friends as each song began... it was the genuine WORSHIPPING of the band.
And what an interesting crowd... headbangers, geeks, freaks, music afficianados, long-haired teenaged boys, dads with their kids, rednecks, men with WHITE TUBESOCKS, a few women scattered about, tons of air guitarists, former (and current) D&D players... you name it! Of course, my favorite person in the crowd was my hubby, who tried very hard to play it cool, but who was obviously happy as could be to be seeing his favorite band for the second time in one week (and he's going to another show tomorrow night). Thanks, Craig!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

now having seen at least one RUSH show...you are now granted artistic license to say whatever you want about them (good or bad). Oh yeah, and that picture of me SUCKS!

10:04 AM

 
Blogger RanLiCoop said...

I'll be interested in hearing Craig's comparison of the current Rush tour to how the band sounded and played 20-25 years ago (the last time I saw them). Oh, and you forgot to mention another category: 40-somethings who listen to Rush [loud] when nobody else is around.

10:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home