What a Difference Three Years Can Make
I signed up for this year’s Duke Half-Ironman triathlon because of how much I’d enjoyed it back in 2003, when I was in top shape and contemplating an Ironman. Plus, I figured it would be a good way to keep me motivated to stay in shape this summer, given all the distractions. Ah, what a difference three years can make...My race yesterday was a result of the following mix:
(1) Spotty training thanks to wedding and party preparations and events, our honeymoon, craziness at work, and general lack of motivation
(2) Recent fatigue, which started immediately after donating blood and strangely lasted for over two weeks (still trying to figure this one out)
(3) Gaining about 5-10 pounds and losing muscle
(4) A warm, sunny day (high of 87F) – how I hate the heat!
In the end, I spent a long day (just over 7 hours) on the course. My swim and bike were at about the same pace as three years ago (although this year the bike course was actually 56 miles, while three years ago it was short by 3 miles). What got me was the run, or more accurately, the slow jog/hike. It was painful, as you can see from this finish line photo.
I’m impressed I managed to pull off a finish at all (although I’m worried I’ll use that fact to keep feeding my bizarre triathlon addiction). Perhaps I need to learn to set more realistic goals given real-life practicalities. Am I too old to change my ways?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home